My fiftieth year



In my fiftieth year,

on the ascent to the date,

strange thoughts and feelings

come over the horizon.


I look at them on my way up.

They're out of focus,

so I can't be sure if we're

on course for collision.


As the one in front approaches,

I am surprised by its anger.

Running full pelt towards me,

it aims directly at my heart.


It breaks all known rules

of engagement or behaviour.

It hurls itself and whacks its wounding weapon

across my defending arm.


I am shattered and defeated, tearful

at this unprovoked and unmitigated attack

and I bow myself down,

to avoid another onslaught.


But my ascent it unavoidable

and the attack becomes relentless,

A fearful barrage of reproaches,

Like a rain of lethal arrows hitting home.


Slowly I become accustomed

To the pain of this awful wave

And straighten my back in order

To reach the summit of my dignity.


Pounding, pounding pounding,

As surprising as a crowd of bicycles,

Careering over the brow towards you.

Their width all encompassing. 


I persist. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Change Somebody's Mind 2 I am thinking of you like a landscape Wow, what kind ? Vast, expansive, apparently flat and empty, but w...